For the first time new areas of Mosul were freed by the Iraqi forces (ISF). January 6 Muthanna in the northeast was declared freed by the Golden Division, but there was still fighting there the next day. That was followed by Atibaa 1 and 2 and Rafaq being taken next door. The housing district in Hadbaa farther north was also liberated. In the southeast the Salah and Shafaa Hospitals in Wahda were freed by the Federal Police and Rapid Reaction forces, and the adjoining Ghufran neighborhood by the Golden Division. That unit was also securing the roads leading to the Fourth Bridge the southernmost span across the Tigris in Mosul. A spokesman for the Division said that it was only 500 meters away from the bridge. Reuters saw U.S. advisers near the front working with the ISF, coordinating HIMAR rocket fire from the Qayara base south of the city. Muthanna, Rafaq, Hadbaa, and Wahda had been entered in November and December and been declared freed several times before. The other three neighborhoods were new however.
A member of the Ninewa council claimed that 88% of east Mosul was how under Iraqi control. That might to be too optimistic, but more of the city was now occupied by government forces. He said Islamic State units were still in Sukar, Baladiyat, Hadbaa, Shurta and Mosul University in the east.
As usual there were Islamic State attacks throughout the city. 2 Suicide bombers were killed and 4 car bombs destroyed in Ghufron, and 3 more suicide bombers in Wahda as well. 3 vehicles bombs in Rafaq, 6 in the southeast, and 2 in Hadbaa were blown up, and 8 more dismantled in the last area. 9 people were killed by mortar fire, and 11 by rockets.
Coalition or Iraqi air strikes were blamed for several casualties as well. 15 civilians killed and 12 wounded in one incident, and 5 deaths in another.
Finally, there were more stories of Islamic State members and families trying to flee Mosul.
Adel, Loaa, “CTS liberate 1st & 2nd neighborhoods of Ataba east of Mosul,” Iraqi News, 1/7/17
- “Over 60 IS families fled from western side of Mosul,” Iraqi News, 1/7/17
Agence France Presse, “Iraq forces near Tigris River in Mosul,” 1/7/17
Al Alam, “VIDEO: 50 ISIS Terrorists Killed, Al Muthanna Recaptured in eastern Mosul,” 1/7/17
Bas News, “Iraqi Forces Closest Ever To the Tigris in Mosul,” 1/7/17
- "Iraqi Forces Liberate Further Area in Central Mosul," 1/7/17
BBC, “Mosul battle: Iraqi troops ‘take key district’ from IS,” 1/6/17
Buratha News, “Recent developments in the field during the liberation of Mosul until 16:10 pm: Saturday 07 01 2017,” 1/7/17
Coles, Isabel, “Entering Mosul from north, Iraqi army faces grueling urban combat,” Reuters, 1/7/17
Face Iraq, “Ninewa We Are Coming Operations announced freeing Rafaq and Ghufran on the left coast of Mosul in the fight against terrorism,” 1/7/17
Kalin, Stephen and Rasheed, Ahmed, “Iraqi forces close in on Tigris in Islamic State stronghold Mosul,” Reuters, 1/7/17
Al Maalomah, “Commander of Ninewa Operations: Iraqi troops descended upon Daesh at night,” 1/7/17
- “Federal Police free nine neighborhoods in left coast of Mosul and stresses fully liberate rest of city within 3 days,” 1/7/17
- “Liberation of a number of neighborhoods and killed tens of Daash,” 1/7/17
- “Freed Ghufran neighborhood, former Baath, left coast of Mosul,” 1/7/17
- "Liberation of a number of neighborhoods and killed tens of Daash," 1/7/17
Al Mada, “Army enters Mosul from the north for the first time.. and Daesh attack freed areas with mortars,” 1/8/17
- "Dismantling eight car bombs north Mosul," 1/7/17
- “Federal Police compensate for army setback by taking Salam Hospital from Daesh,” 1/8/17
- "Three suicide bombers killed repelling attack southeast Mosul," 1/7/17
Al Masalah, "The death of 27 civilians in wrong air strike east Mosul," 1/7/17
Mostafa, Mohamed, “Army recaptures eastern Mosul district as anti-IS operations proceed,” Iraqi News, 1/7/17
- “Security forces seize IS command quarters, prisons in eastern Mosul,” Iraqi News, 1/7/17
NINA, “Breaking News…Rapid Reaction Forces Liberate Salam Hospital In Mosul,” 1/6/17
Reuters, “Iraqi forces close in on Tigris in IS stronghold Mosul,” Iraqi News, 1/7/17
Rudaw, “ISIS in Mosul becoming ‘desperate’ as Iraqi forces approach Tigris,” 1/7/17
Salaheddin, Sinan, "Turkish PM visits Iraq amid spat over unauthorized troops," Associated Press, 1/7/17
Shafaaq News, "9 civilians killed in Daesh bombing of Algiers neighborhood in Mosul," 1/17/17
Shafaaq News, "Killing two women and three children in wrong bombing of targets west of Mosul," 1/7/17
- "Urgent..11 people killed in Daesh pounding of residential neighborhood in Mosul," 1/7/17
Al Sumaria, “Member of Nineveh Council: the joint forces tightened their grip almost entirely on left coast of Mosul,” 1/7/17
- “Yarallah: Dawn of Daesh on the fourth bridge in Mosul after our force control the intersection leading to it,” 1/7/17
Xinhua, “Iraqi forces gain ground in Mosul, enter northern city for first time,” 1/7/17